My Experience Volunteering at a Local Food Bank
My Experience Volunteering at a Local Food Bank
By Garrett Zhou
As you may know, my blog is dedicated to addressing food insecurity. This past summer, I discovered an opportunity to volunteer at the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. Naturally, I seized this chance and volunteered several times, contributing approximately 10 hours of my time. I would like to share my experience with you and explain why you should consider volunteering as well.
When you arrive at the food bank, you will check in and receive a name tag. Please note that if you are under the age of 16, you must have an adult or guardian with you at all times. After entering the work area, you will be introduced to a staff member, who will explain the tasks ahead. Some tasks are nice and clean. This may include organizing canned goods or preparing meals. However, some tasks are gross. These include sorting fruits and vegetables and any sort of cleaning. Before you do any sort of work, you’ll need to wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap to prevent the spread of germs. Afterward, you will be divided into groups to complete the assigned tasks. If you volunteer in the morning, the shift lasts for three hours; if you come in the afternoon, it lasts for two hours. The shift may conclude early if you finish your tasks ahead of schedule, but you will still have 15 minutes at the end to admire your work and clean your stations regardless of finishing the work or not. On my last day of volunteering, we sorted 8,300 meals, which would serve many individuals in need. You can make a difference too, and I will share some compelling reasons to get involved.
Students aspiring to gain admission to a reputable college should consider engaging in volunteer work. This experience not only provides the intrinsic satisfaction of helping others but also offers valuable benefits such as volunteer hours, potential awards, and connections for recommendation letters or research opportunities. Adults, I encourage you to take the time to participate in such activities. Personally, I found it incredibly rewarding to give back to those in need, and it served as a reminder of how fortunate we truly are. Volunteering is an excellent way to positively impact your community while also providing a welcome break from work.
Here is the link to locate the nearest food bank: https://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank
As always, thanks for reading, have a wonderful day, and I encourage you to consider volunteering at a local food bank. Thank you!
Comments
Post a Comment